We are shocked and saddened by this news since we believe Ivar’s is exactly the kind of restaurant the Port says it wants at Sea-Tac to welcome travelers from around the world to our area.
The fact is, travelers through the airport love Ivar’s and tell us that every day. 89% of customers say they are “highly satisfied” and we were just named one of the “Best Airport Grab-And-Go Dining” options by USA TODAY’s readers nationally!
We’ve also learned the Port didn’t consider our exemplary record of “citizenship” at the airport when making its decision. We have maintained 100% compliance with Port rules, never failed a health inspection, helped the airport create their composting and recycling systems, generated more than $5 million in rent, and the list goes on and on. Not to mention the 14,000 cups of our famous chowder that we serve each week!
The good news is it might not be too late. We’re asking you – our loyal customers and fans – to help us show the elected Port of Seattle Commissioners that the Port’s process was flawed and tell them that you want Ivar’s to remain at Sea-Tac Airport.
If you want to learn more, read our Formal Protest Letter to the Port of Seattle, our Fact Sheet about the Flawed Process and our Analysis of Evaluation Scoring for Ivar’s Proposal document.
Join 9,260 others and tell the Seattle Port Commission to Keep Ivar’s at Sea-Tac!
Use the form below to send an email to the Port of Seattle Commissioners and tell them that you think the Port’s process was flawed and that you want Ivar’s to remain at Sea-Tac Airport. You can edit the message below or send as-is.
You can also call the Port and leave a message by calling (206) 787-3034.
- Analysis of Evaluation Scoring for Ivar’s Proposal Lease Group 3 Food Service Single Unit 15
- Ivar’s Exposes Flaws in Sea-Tac Airport Leasing Process
- Summary of the Port of Seattle’s treatment of Ivar’s Fish Bar at SeaTac Airport
- Port Process to Select Sea-Tac Restaurants Fatally Flawed
- Ivar’s Appeals the Port Commission’s Decision
- Ivar’s Fighting to Stay at SeaTac Airport
- No Ivar’s at airport? Port of Seattle must rework bidding process | Seattle Times
- Ivar’s to battle Port commissioners over loss of lease at Sea-Tac Airport | KIRO 7
- Ivar’s lost out on Sea-Tac Airport lease because Port favored small firms | Seattle Times
- Ivar’s fights back after losing Sea-Tac Airport lease | KING
- Ivar’s wants back at Sea-Tac | KOMO
- Ivar’s fighting to stay in Sea-Tac airport | KIRO 7
What Sea-Tac Ivar’s Customers Are Saying…
I travel through SeaTac fairly often & always eat at ivars. Love the chowder – best anywhere Also my server noticed that 1 piece of my fish & chips was small so she added an xtra piece – great customer service! -Jan B.
I fly here just to eat at Ivar’s! -Jeff
Thank you Ivars for having Clam Chowder for the soldiers at the USO Seatac lounge! -Willis T.
We were traveling through Seattle Airport and nice to see Ivars in the dining area. We had breakfast sandwiches, but I still love the chowder the best! -Jim & Joany H.
Some of the best white chowder I’ve ever had! I always make a point to stop at Ivar’s whenever I’m passing through Seattle. -Chris H.
I work at Sea-Tac, and as a treat once or twice a month, Ivar’s is one of my favorite places for lunch. They are always busy, but always friendly, the food has always been great, it fast, which is important when you’re on your lunch break. I’ve never heard anyone at the airport say anything but good things about the Ivars at Sea-Tac. -Debbie
Frequently Asked Questions
A: The staff at the Port of Seattle, which operates Sea-Tac airport, recently notified Ivar’s that it would not renew its lease. In its lease process, the Port staff did not consider the actual performance of existing lease holders such as Ivar’s.
Q: What can I do to help?
A: Fans of Ivar’s can contact the five elected commissioners of the Port of Seattle and ask the commissioners to reconsider the staff’s recommendation. The time to act is short. You can email the commissioners or call them right now.
Q: What is Ivar’s doing about it?
A: Ivar’s is appealing the Port’s decision. We think the best way to change the Port’s decision, which needs your help to make happen, is to have the Commissioners decide.
Q: Why should the Port keep Ivar’s at Sea-Tac?
A: Here are just some of the reasons:
- Ivar’s Fish Bar is one of Sea-Tac airport’s most popular restaurants, and has served more than three million customers there.
- Ivar’s has paid more than $5 million in rents to the Port of Seattle over the 12 years it has operated there.
- In addition, Ivar’s has been honored by the Port for its support of environmental initiatives, and has won national and local awards for its food and service 16 times in the last nine years – more than any other restaurant at Sea-Tac.
- Ivar’s is a classic Northwest brand and exactly the kind of institution we should want to welcome travelers to our region.
- Chowder on the fly! Award-winning Fish and Chips. An amazing crab breakfast sandwich. We could go on…
- Ivar’s is a great employer. It provides living wages and benefits (401K, health insurance, plus) to 20 employees at Sea-Tac, and key staff members who opened the Fish Bar 12 years ago still manage operations.
- Ivar’s at Sea-Tac supports and donates to a number of causes: USO service members and families, the Port’s annual charity golf tournament, Alaska Airlines Boy Scouts Aviation Merit Badge Day, Autism Society, and dozens of other organizations.
Thank you so much for taking the time to add your voice to the many others who want to Keep Ivar’s at Sea-Tac.
Please take one more minute and share with friends on Facebook and Twitter.